Archer is seeking qualified, experienced candidates for the position of Associate Director of College Guidance, beginning in July 2023. This position reports to and collaborates closely with the Director of College Guidance to guide junior and senior classes through every aspect of the college search and application process. Strong candidates will have experience in a college admissions environment and/or college counseling office in an independent school. Candidates should also exhibit an appreciation of and respect for a diverse academic environment and learning community.
The Associate Director collaborates with the Director in all aspects of the College Guidance office and program. Candidates should have 3-5 years of experience working in either college counseling at an independent school or in a selective college admissions program and be capable of teaching a college guidance course.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Guide students and parents through the college application process in both individual and family meetings.
- Manage a caseload of students, providing strategies, advice, support, and guidance to those students and their families throughout the application process and in making the best individualized choice for college.
- Provide support to students in writing college essays and completing applications.
- Write thoughtful and supportive letters of recommendation.
- Teach the Human Development college-focused curriculum to students in grades 11 and 12.
- Assist the Director with presentations to students, parents and faculty.
- Assist students in identifying resources for scholarships and provide guidance in the financial aid process for colleges and universities.
- Create and submit materials to colleges in support of college applicants.
- Coordinate the faculty writing of requested recommendations for students applying to college.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with college admission officers, including hosting them during their visits to campus.
- Assist with additional responsibilities as needed, which may include on-site test coordination, communications, and/or event planning.
- Pursue professional development opportunities such as conferences and visiting colleges in order to remain current with industry trends and developments.
- Be involved in the Archer community at large.
Strong candidates will have the following qualities:
- Bachelor’s degree; master’s degree preferred
- At least 3-5 years prior experience in college counseling or college admissions
- Successful track record of working with students in college admission/counseling
- Values diversity, equity and inclusion and has proven success engaging with a diverse student body
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and a dedication to utmost confidentiality
- Exceptional written and oral communication
- Excellent organizational skills
- Detail-oriented and able to work collaboratively
- Strong work ethic and high level of integrity
- Technologically savvy
- High-energy, flexible/adaptable, and enthusiastic about working with adolescents in an academic atmosphere
- Sense of humor
Beyond competitive pay and benefits, employees enjoy working in a highly collegial, student-focused, and joyful learning community. We seek employees who will contribute to an equitable and just learning environment. Integral to our mission, Archer has remained passionately committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive community where all students can thrive personally and academically.
Salary Range: $105,000 – $140,000
To apply, please click on the link below:
No phone calls, please. More information on Archer can be found at www.archer.org. The Archer School for Girls is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.archer.org.