Website Westmark School
The difference is brilliant!
School Counselor (Grades 2-6)
Start Date: December 1, 2022
Westmark School is currently seeking a School Counselor, a full-time temporary position starting December 1, 2022 through mid-April 2023 to provide a comprehensive counseling program and serving a key role in creating and sustaining an atmosphere of emotional wellness among students. Reporting to the Director of Athletics, PE & Wellness, the counselor utilizes collaboration, leadership and advocacy to promote students’ social, emotional and academic success.
● Designs, plans, implements, and participates in programming that fosters a culture of wellness with all students;
● Provides direct instruction for Social Emotional Learning (SEL) class for grades 2-5 biweekly;
● Communicates the goals of the program to students, parents, faculty and staff, and maintains current and appropriate resources available for their use;
● Participates in regular professional development opportunities in order to stay updated on national trends and developments in providing support to children;
● Provides short-term, solution-focused support through individual and group counseling; and when appropriate, assists families to arrange outside therapy and support services as needed and then coordinates with outside providers working with students;
● Consults and collaborates effectively with parents/guardians, teachers, administrators and other educational/community resources regarding students with identified concerns and needs;
● Implements an effective referral and follow-up process;
● Accurately and appropriately uses assessment procedures for determining and structuring individual and group counseling services;
● Meets regularly with the Head of School, Division Directors and School Nurse to review the health and wellness of our student population and collaborate with educational staff to determine whether intervention strategies are effective;
● Provides appropriate information to staff related to the comprehensive school counseling program;
● Assists teachers, parents/guardians and other constituents in interpreting and understanding student data;
● Uses available technology resources to enhance the school counseling program;
● Adheres to laws, policies, procedures, and ethical standards of the school counseling profession;
● Hosts workshops and presentations for parents and in-service programs for teachers and staff;
● Conducts a yearly program audit to review the extent of program implementation;
● Collects and analyzes data to guide program direction and emphasis;
● Measures results of the school counseling program activities and shares results, as appropriate; and
● In conjunction with division directors, monitors student academic performance, behavior and attendance, and assists with appropriate interventions.
● Advanced degree in School Counseling, Counseling, Social Work, School Psychology, Clinical Psychology, or Applied Psychology is required. Appropriate license, certification, and/or other documentation attesting to the candidate’s expertise in counseling is required
● Experience working with a diverse student population
● Excellent written and oral communication skills with an ability to effectively communicate with all stakeholders of the school
Physical Demands and Work Environment
While performing the essential functions and responsibilities of this job, the employee is:
● Required to sit in on meetings and work on a computer for long periods of time; and is occasionally required to walk, reach with hands and arms, balance, stoop, talk, and hear.
● The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
● Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Westmark School follows CDC and LACDPH protocols for K–12 schools. All faculty, and staff are required to be fully vaccinated, including any booster shots.
To Apply: Please send a letter of interest and your resume to:
Attn: Craig Schoof, Director of Athletics, Physical Education & Wellness
5461 Louise Avenue | Encino, CA 91316
Westmark School is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit and job performance. School policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, religion, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical conditions (including genetic characteristics or information), sexual orientation, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, and local laws.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org