Website Vistamar School
High School Computer Science, Coding, and Robotics Teacher
Reports to: Assistant Head of School —- Start Date: August 2022
Vistamar School is an independent college preparatory day school serving grades 9-12. The founders’ vision was to tap into the diversity of Los Angeles to bring together students who could learn from each other the skills and attitudes necessary for global citizenship. The Vistamar experience is guided by its core values and its mission which rests on three pillars: challenging academics that engage and inspire students; an intimate atmosphere that supports students with caring relationships; and a diverse community that encourages the authentic exchange of perspectives and leads students to be comfortable crossing cultural boundaries. Vistamar believes there’s a better way to do high school. Vistamar School serves a highly diverse population of students in grades 9-12, supported by a generous program of Moderated Tuition. Approximately 33% of our students participate in our Moderated Tuition program, and approximately 50% of our students identify as students of color. We seek to attract a faculty and student body who bring a diversity of thought and culture to our school community, and who will be committed to ensuring that we provide an inclusive environment for the respectful exchange of multiple perspectives. Vistamar is located in the easternmost section of El Segundo. The school is close to major freeway interchanges and is well serviced by public transportation, including a commuter rail station. Since our opening in 2005, enrollment has grown steadily to 260 students. Vistamar attracts and enrolls one of the most diverse student bodies in the greater Los Angeles area, with students from over 60 zip codes and more than 80 schools. We will add faculty and classrooms incrementally as we approach our target enrollment of 300. Both tuition and salaries are competitive with other Los Angeles – area independent schools. Vistamar is fully accredited by the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and holds institutional memberships in the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) and the Council of International Schools (CIS).
You will be joining us as a Computer Science teacher. You will teach CS courses that include an introductory course, AP Computer Science, and a Post-AP course. Depending on your experience and load, you may also be asked to support Robotics and coding across the disciplines. You will bring your passion for coding and interdisciplinary learning to both support students in their computer science skill acquisition and in their application of these skills in research, design, and engineering. A typical week would include the preparation and teaching of four regular courses, each meeting four times per week, serving as a student advisor, assisting with student activities, and engaged participation in faculty and team meetings. Additional responsibilities include maintaining active communication with students & families, active participation in admissions/development events, and other important community gatherings.
The Vistamar School community seeks candidates who can fulfill our Four Attributes of Excellent Teaching. Successful candidates will also commit to multicultural educational practices and working in a diverse community. Additionally, Vistamar School seeks candidates who engage in professional development opportunities to further develop inclusive teaching practices.
● Practice culturally responsive pedagogy.
● Cultivate strong and collegial relationships with all community members in a culturally responsive manner.
● Embrace working with high school students with enthusiasm.
● Seek to know, understand and serve the social-emotional needs of the whole child.
● Use strong pedagogical skills and depth of content expertise to design meaningful learning experiences that foster a passion for learning in students.
● Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to the reflective, iterative nature of teaching and thus seek continuous growth and development as a lifelong learner.
● Embrace the school’s culture as an engaged, energetic, and thoughtful community member.
● Teaching experience at the high school level, a deep knowledge of the subject matter, and
familiarity with student-centered approaches to teaching that promote critical thinking and help to make students’ thinking visible.
● Can design learning experiences toward project and performance-based assessments using a “backward planning” model.
● Passion and deep knowledge of multiple coding languages to facilitate student learning in introductory coding, advanced/AP coding, a post-AP course, and scientific research.
● Optional – Experience supporting robotics.
● A masters degree and teaching credential are preferred.
● Have a minimum of 3 years of teaching experience at the high school level.
● Must be available to engage fully with our onboarding process.
How to Apply…
Additional information about Vistamar School is available on the school’s website:
https://www.vistamarschool.org. Applicants should submit a complete résumé and cover letter by email to: [email protected] No calls, please.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org