Website Vistamar School
Reports to: Assistant Head of School
Start Date: March 1, 2023 – June 2023
Vistamar School is an independent college preparatory day school serving grades 9-12. The founders’ vision was to tap into the diversity of Los Angeles to bring together students who could learn from each other the skills and attitudes necessary for global citizenship. The Vistamar experience is guided by its core values and its mission which rests on three pillars: challenging academics that engage and inspire students; an intimate atmosphere that supports students with caring relationships; and a diverse community that encourages the authentic exchange of perspectives and leads students to be comfortable crossing cultural boundaries. Vistamar believes there’s a better way to do high school. Vistamar School serves a highly diverse population of students in grades 9-12, supported by a generous program of Moderated Tuition. Approximately 33% of our students participate in our Moderated Tuition program, and approximately 50% of our students identify as students of color. We seek to attract a faculty and student body who bring a diversity of thought and culture to our school community, and who will be committed to ensuring that we provide an inclusive environment for the respectful exchange of multiple perspectives. Vistamar is located in the easternmost section of El Segundo. The school is close to major freeway interchanges and is well serviced by public transportation, including a commuter rail station. Since our opening in 2005, enrollment has grown steadily to 250 students. Vistamar attracts and enrolls one of the most diverse student bodies in the greater Los Angeles area, with students from over 60 zip codes and more than 80 schools. We will add faculty and classrooms incrementally as we approach our target enrollment of 300. Both tuition and salaries are competitive with other Los Angeles – area independent schools. Vistamar is fully accredited by the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and holds institutional memberships in the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) and the Council of International Schools (CIS).
Vistamar School is open to a long-term substitute at 80% time, or at full time with some additional academic responsibilities. You will be joining us as a teacher in the Math Department as a leave replacement responsible for teaching three sections of Math 4, part of our integrated, problem based curriculum. Math 4 covers content and skills in traditional Algebra 2 and Pre-calculus courses. The Math Department believes that collaborative problem solving is essential for the learning of mathematics and happens most effectively in student centered classrooms with a strong sense of community, flexibility, and cooperation. The Math Department seeks to build the skills of investigation, making predictions, analyzing, explaining reasoning, and grappling. Our integrated math curriculum focuses on quantitative literacy and comfort with adopting a mathematical
perspective; fluency and precision in the use of mathematics as a language; facility with a wide range of tools for solving problems and drawing inferences from data; the ability to strategize mathematically and to translate ordinary language into both traditional mathematical formulations and modern technical applications; the necessary foundations for continuing the study of mathematics at the college level; and a framework for interpreting and evaluating quantitative information.
A typical week would include the preparation and teaching of three regular courses, each meeting four times per week, serving as a student advisor, assisting with student activities, and engaged participation in faculty and team meetings. Additional responsibilities include maintaining active communication with students and families, active participation in admissions/development events, and other important community gatherings.
The Vistamar School community seeks candidates who can fulfill our Four Attributes of Excellent Teaching . Successful candidates will also commit to multicultural educational practices and working in a diverse community. Additionally, Vistamar School seeks candidates who engage in professional development opportunities to further develop inclusive teaching practices.
● Practice culturally responsive pedagogy.
● Cultivate strong collegial relationships with community members in a culturally responsive manner.
● Embrace working with high school students with enthusiasm.
● Seek to know, understand and serve the social-emotional needs of the whole child
● Use strong pedagogical skills and depth of content expertise to design meaningful learning experiences that foster a passion for learning in students.
● Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to the reflective, iterative nature of teaching and thus seek continuous growth and development as a lifelong learner.
● Embrace the school’s culture as an engaged, energetic, and thoughtful community member.
● Have teaching experience at the high school level, a deep knowledge of the subject matter, and familiarity with student-centered approaches to teaching that promote critical thinking and help to make students’ thinking visible.
● Can design learning experiences toward performance-based assessments using a “backward planning” model.
● Problem solve collaboratively both with students and colleagues.
● Are flexible facilitators, able to differentiate with ease, and help students to make sense of their thinking.
● Have a strong background in science or mathematics and are able to make mathematical
connections in an integrated curriculum.
● Preferably have a masters degree and teaching credential.
● Have teaching experience at the high school level.
● Must be available to engage fully with our onboarding process.
How to Apply
Additional information about Vistamar School is available on the school’s website:
https://www.vistamarschool.org. Applicants should submit a complete résumé and cover letter by email to: [email protected] No calls, please.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com