Website The Webb Schools
The Director of Studies is responsible for the implementation, documentation, supervision, and evaluation of the Schools’ academic program, services, and resources.
The Director of Studies reports to the Assistant Head of Schools in administering the academic program and oversees the management and communication of Webb’s curriculum and the standards and pedagogy of its faculty. The Director of Studies supervises the Department Chairs and the Registrar and works in collaboration with the Director of Teaching & Learning Resources and the Director of Experiential Learning. The Director of Studies collaborates with the Director of College Guidance on matters related to standardized testing and the college admissions process. The Director of Studies serves on the Educational Leadership Team and works in collaboration with other residential and academic leaders to ensure Webb’s educational program is cohesive and mission-aligned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Studies is responsible for the design and creation of academic programs and activities that support the schools’ mission and advance the goals of the strategic plan and annual operating plan. In doing so, the Director of Studies oversees the overall quality and scope of the academic program.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Communicate academic goals and school’s academic vision effectively to all members of the Webb community.
· Oversee and coordinate professional development and enrichment for all faculty.
· Oversee the faculty mentoring program.
· Support the work of the Assistant Head in the recruitment of new faculty.
· Direct the work of the Academic Council, including identifying and shaping major academic initiatives, goal-setting, and agenda planning. Assist Department Chairs and other academic leaders in implementing policies and procedures developed by the Academic Council.
· Manage academic program evaluation, including student course evaluations and evaluation of academic resources such as library and technology, and work with Assistant Head to coordinate ongoing faculty appraisal process.
· Collaborate with the Dean of Students and Director of Wellness on the Student Support Team to support students and families as needed
· Oversee standardized and assessment testing.
· Direct the course selection, academic advising, and student placement process; assist with departmental staffing and sectioning decisions.
· Support the college admission process by assisting the college letter writing team.
· Produce and/or update the necessary academic documents annually such as the Course Selection Guidebook and the Academic Practices Manual.
· Manage academic reporting, including progress reports, and grades and comments.
· Monitor compliance with University of California system requirements.
· Implement and oversee academic support programs such as academic labs, required extra help, and tutoring.
· Work directly with parents, students, teachers, and relevant staff to resolve academic conflicts or problems.
· Analyze data on academic performance and participation, compiling appropriate reports for academic decision-makers.
· Provide instructional leadership, including planning and conducting faculty meetings that support effective teaching and learning.
· Oversee the Cum Laude Induction and other awards related to the academic program.
· Manage academic administration budget.
· Support all direct reports in developing and managing budgets.
· Teach a modified load, advise, and support the evening & weekend residential program, and/or participate in other school programs as discussed and negotiated with the Assistant Head of Schools.
PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES OF WEBB FACULTY & STAFF
· Contributes to the delivery of the mission, vision, and values of the school community.
· Demonstrates inclusive and equitable practices to ensure that all members of the community feel a sense of belonging.
· Follows community policies and procedures and models positive behavior.
· Works effectively as a team member and develops professional and productive relationships with colleagues.
· Understands boundaries and embraces responsibility for the care of students in loco parentis.
· Promotes a trust-based community by keeping appropriate confidences.
· Manages time effectively and meets deadlines and commitments.
· Communicates and responds to all school communications in a timely manner.
· Exhibits flexibility and adaptability to change as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A Master’s degree (M.A.) or equivalent; with a minimum of eight years teaching experience and/or previous academic leadership experience is required.
A valid California driver license with a satisfactory driving record is required. A criminal background check must be successfully completed before employment can begin.
Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The physical requirements of this position are those needed to successfully fulfill the job duties and responsibilities articulated above. As prescribed by law, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
The Director of Studies should be:
· Conversant with all academic disciplines and familiar with traditional and current teaching methodologies across the curriculum.
· Able to communicate effectively with students, parents, faculty, staff, and administrators.
· Effective in managing complex tasks and projects as well as problem solving.
· Skilled with data analysis, statistics, and the production and interpretation of statistical reports.
This position is for the 2023-24 academic year. Interested candidates should send their cover letter and résumé to:
Dr. Theresa Smith, Associate Head of Schools, [email protected]
Resume review to begin 11/30/22
The Webb Schools are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities and do not discriminate based on race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, pregnancy, age, marital status, military or veteran status, medical condition, gender/identity/expression, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
To apply for this job email your details to careers@Webb.org