Website The Webb Schools
Job Title: Dean of Students
Reports to: Assistant Head of Schools
Status: Salaried/Exempt, Full-time, Benefited
The Dean of Students is responsible for supporting and monitoring the personal and collective development of all students. As part of this work, the Dean oversees all aspects of student life, including the residential program, the administration of discipline, and the chapel and leadership programs.
The Dean of Students oversees the Dean’s office, including supervising the work of the Dean of Campus Life, the Dean of Residential Life, the Attendance Coordinator and the Dean’s Executive Assistant. The Dean sits on the Educational Leadership Team and collaborates closely with the Director of Wellness, the Director of Studies, the Director of Equity, the Director of Athletics & Afternoon Activities and all other administrators whose work directly impacts student life. The Dean of Students supervises Lead Class Advisors and faculty in their advisory and residential roles.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Dean of Students oversees the residential and student life programs at The Webb Schools. This includes, but is not limited to, orientation, boarding life, advisory, student activities, student discipline and leadership programs. In coordination with the Assistant Head of Schools, the Dean is responsible for ensuring student programs and activities support the schools’ mission and advance the goals of Webb’s Strategic Plan and annual operating plans. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Maintain a high profile on campus, including at student activities and in the boarding community.
· Ensure student accountability at all times.
· Ensure the boarding program provides a nurturing and safe environment and supports the school’s educational program.
· Collaborate with the Director of Equity and their team to help foster belonging for all students.
· Coordinate all leadership programs, including the work of the student leadership and class advisors, to ensure all students experience leadership development as part of their Webb program.
· Collaborate with the Director of Wellness, Director of Studies, Director of Equity, Admission Team and Director of Special Events to effectively transition new students and families including orientation programming.
· Oversee the chapel program.
· Collaborate with other departments in planning and executing school ceremonies and traditions.
· Collaborate with the Director of Wellness and Director of Studies to address student needs via the Student Support Team.
· Administer and communicate student discipline, including contact with advisors, parents, and in conjunction with the Assistant Head in cases of major infractions.
· In collaboration with the Assistant Head of Schools, oversee weekday dorm duty and weekend supervision schedules for faculty and staff.
· Serve as a model of and provide support, engagement and training to ensure faculty are consistent in upholding school rules, policies and norms.
· Along with the Assistant Head of Schools, coordinate the self-reflection and appraisal process for student life modules.
· Collaborate with the Director of Wellness to create grade-level or advisory based programming.
· Meet regularly with and support the lead class advisors in grade-level work and in addressing student support needs.
· Oversee senior trips.
· Oversee all permission requests and forms
· Manage appropriate budgets.
· Monitor residential logs and student communication channels.
· In collaboration with the Assistant Head, review the student handbook annually and revise as needed.
· Participate in professional associations and continually develop professional knowledge.
· Maintain a high regard for the privacy and confidentiality of information collected about individuals with whom they work. Manage student discipline, attendance and other student life records in accordance with Webb’s records retention policy.
· Teach, coach and/or advise, in some combination.
· Attend all faculty meetings, department meetings, and other meetings as required.
· Attend all school functions: chapels, assemblies, class meetings, as well as special events.
· Promote the development of honor, character, and leadership in all dealings with students, including enforcing school rules and ensuring all students feel safe and welcome in their campus home.
· Other duties as assigned.
PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES OF WEBB FACULTY & STAFF
· Contributes to the delivery of the mission, vision, and values of the school community.
· Demonstrates inclusive and equitable practices to ensure that all members of the community feel a sense of belonging.
· Follows community policies and procedures and models positive behavior.
· Works effectively as a team member and develops professional and productive relationships with colleagues.
· Understands boundaries and embraces responsibility for the care of students in loco parentis.
· Promotes a trust-based community by keeping appropriate confidences.
· Manages time effectively and meets deadlines and commitments.
· Communicates and responds to all school communications in a timely manner.
· Exhibits flexibility and adaptability to change as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred); with a minimum of five years relevant administrative experience required.
A current California driver license with a satisfactory motor vehicle record. A criminal background check must be successfully completed before employment can begin.
The Dean of Students should be:
· Knowledgeable about teenage developmental needs
· Able to communicate effectively with students, parents, faculty, staff, and administrators.
· Effective in managing complex tasks and projects as well as problem solving.
· Skilled with data analysis, statistics, and the production and interpretation of statistical reports.
Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. As prescribed by law, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is for the 2023-24 academic year.
Interested candidates should send their cover letter and résumé to:
Dr. Theresa Smith, Associate Head of Schools, [email protected]
Resume review to begin 11/30/22
The Webb Schools are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities and do not discriminate based on perceived or actual race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, pregnancy (or any related conditions), age, marital status, military or veteran status, medical condition, gender/identity/expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
To apply for this job email your details to careers@Webb.org