Website The Waverly School
Progressive Educational School, Preschool through 12th grade
The Waverly School in Pasadena, California seeks a full-time associate preschool teacher for the 2022-23 school year. Associate teachers work directly with lead teachers in a multi-age preschool classroom. Teachers at The Waverly School bring positivity, collegiality, strong work ethic, and a commitment to building warm and supportive relationships with children into the school each day. We are seeking a teacher who understands how to provide differentiated and extended learning experiences within the context of a progressive learning environment.
- Work with lead teachers to educate and support students as guided by The Waverly School mission and philosophy.
- Show confidence and readiness to offer conflict resolution to support children that is aligned with the Waverly mission and philosophy.
- Use Responsive Classroom techniques to assist lead teacher in developing a consistent, caring classroom environment.
- Is confident in leading and teaching small groups.
- Support children on the playground.
- Follow the schedule that is created by the lead teachers.
- Show flexibility for the daily changes that happen in a school environment.
- Provide support to lead teachers for semester reports. Specifically, to share written notes, write drafts, read, and make suggestions and offer thoughts on the checklists.
- Attends and participates in weekly faculty meetings (after school) and occasional workshops, in-service opportunities, and other training seminars.
- Work in-person, on campus
- Perform other duties or tasks as defined by the Director of Elementary School or Head of School.
- Strong commitment to anti-racist and inclusive practices that support students of all backgrounds to succeed, to collaboration, and to self-reflection and personal growth
- An understanding of progressive education
- Experience in preschool classrooms
- Responsive classroom training a plus
- Takes initiative and shows enthusiasm in the workplace
- A strong collaborator and communicator with adults and children
Education and Experience
- 12 Units in ECE or more
- 1-3 years of experience in a classroom setting
- Preference for candidates who are seeking a teaching credential
- Preference for candidates who have experience in a progressive educational setting
- Prolonged periods of standing and walking throughout classrooms
- Occasionally lift 15-45 pounds at a time
- Must be able to sit and stand on the floor throughout the day, and bend, kneel, or squat to be at eye level with children
Please email resume and letter of introduction to the contact below. No phone calls, please.
Vella Cagle, Assistant Business Manager – [email protected]
The Waverly School is a nonsectarian, coeducational, college preparatory, progressive day school that spans young kindergarten through high school. Waverly provides an experience-based, cross disciplinary education in which students are expected to work to their highest potential. Waverly is dedicated to helping students become confident, curious, resourceful learners who demonstrate intellectual engagement, critical and creative thinking, respect for individual differences, and a strong sense of personal and social responsibility. The Waverly School has three campuses and a one-acre organic farm, all within walking distance of one another, in Pasadena, CA.
The Waverly School is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination based on the race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, pregnancy, transgender, transsexualism, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, primary language, military or veteran status, physical handicap, disability, medical condition, mental disability, genetic characteristic or information, ancestry, or based on any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.