Website The Buckley School The Buckley School
The Buckley School
The Buckley School is a dynamic, nurturing learning community committed to equity and inclusion, and as such, seeks to hire talented employees with diverse backgrounds.
The Buckley School, Los Angeles’ oldest K-12 all-gender learning institution, has an opening for a Middle School Social Science teacher for the 2023-2024 school year. Buckley teachers create an educational program and a classroom environment in support of the school’s mission, Portrait of a Graduate, Strategic Plan, and commitment to DEI, based on the belief that student agency and engagement is critical for effective learning. This position is responsible for teaching up to five middle school social science classes and serving as an advisor to middle school students.
• Teaching five sections of middle school social science
• Differentiating instruction to meet the needs of a range of learners and utilizing a variety of assessment methods to inform instruction
• Collaborating with colleagues to design projects and assessments
• Providing support and enrichment for students through our advisory program
• Engaging actively in departmental and school-wide diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts
• Participating in department and faculty meetings; providing timely feedback to students, advisees and their families; actively support school activities and events.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
• Possess the minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, graduate degree and/or teaching credential preferred.
• Possess 3-5 years classroom teaching experience of like courses, preferably within an independent school.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Models the highest standards of professionalism and creates warm, uplifting and trusting learning environments and working relationships marked by humor, positivity, humility, empathy, excellent emotional intelligence, extraordinary interpersonal skills, and collaboration.
• Demonstrates great individual integrity, initiative, self-awareness, commitment to personal and professional growth, and the ability to receive and apply feedback
• Possesses a passion for education, particularly in an independent school environment, conveyed by a solid understanding of educational practice and philosophy grounded in DEIJ
• Knowledge of and demonstrated competency in diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice.
• Relishes the joys and challenges of working with k-12 students and possesses a deep understanding of the intellectual, social, emotional, and physical development of children
• Demonstrates adaptability, dependability, good judgment, strong social skills and the abilities to read, assess, imagine, evaluate, calculate, & make wise decisions
• Significant experience implementing instructional programs
• Demonstrates strong communication skills in person, in writing, by phone and through other electronic means (such as Zoom).
• Current knowledge of all subject area content
• Knowledge of instructional methodologies to support discipline-specific and transdisciplinary learning, and the ability to learn and implement knew instructional practices over time
• Knowledge of and ability to implement useful diagnostic and progress assessment measures.
• Knowledge and effective use of instructional methods and learning materials
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Blackbaud/Education Edge, Zoom, and the ability to learn new and evolving technology.
The Buckley School is comprised of faculty who are brand new teachers to experts in their field with over 20 years of experience. The broad range which includes all experience levels is $54,614 – $118,039. As a school with a unionized faculty, compensation is determined in partnership with the union through the collective bargaining agreement. Department Chair salaries are determined based on education, experience, part-time status, and number of months of work per school year.
The base salary is separate from fringe benefits, such as retirement contributions, daily lunch, on-site parking, contributions to medical, dental, vision, life/AD&D plans, our generous time off policy, or potential stipends (for eligible employees). Our pay ranges are reasonable estimates of what the School anticipates paying for a role but are not guaranteed. If hired at The Buckley School, your actual base salary will be determined by your education, experience, and schedule.
Interested candidates should send their resume and cover letter to [email protected]. In a cover letter/email please explain how you have included diversity, equity, and inclusion in your work with students or colleagues.
ABOUT THE SCHOOL
The Buckley School, with 830 students, is one of the most respected independent schools in Los Angeles. Buckley is known for its unique educational philosophy, the 4-Fold Plan of Education, which melds a whole-child approach with elements of structure, as well as for its warm and nurturing educational environment.
The school’s curriculum balances academics, the arts, physical development and ethical education. Buckley’s creative, personalized approach to education emphasizes high academic standards for all students and includes traditional touches that develop the character and discipline that unlock students’ potential.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com