The Archer School for Girls is currently seeking a Director of Facilities. The Director of Facilities is responsible for maintaining a clean, safe, and well-maintained campus. The Director is responsible for managing the physical plant as well as campus safety, grounds keeping, maintenance, custodial services, budgeting, and planning for facilities projects. The Director of Facilities reports to the Associate Head of School for Finance and Operations and works closely with the key members of the operations team including the Director of Security and Transportation.
Nature & Scope of Duties:
- Accountable for daily operations of the physical plant, ensuring customer service-oriented relationships with faculty, staff, and visitors
- Plans, manages, and oversees facilities and equipment for campus daily use
- Oversees work order management and reporting system to ensure items are attended to efficiently and completely including setups for events and student activities
- Solicits, reviews bids, and negotiates contracts with vendors in partnership with the Associate Head of School for Finance and Operations
- Coordinates and plans facilities updates and usage in response to the changing programmatic needs
- Oversees contracted labor including night cleaning crew and landscape maintenance crew
- Evaluates both short- and long-term needs for the campus and implements changes and improvements as required in collaboration with School leadership
- Evaluates existing building system processes and implements changes and improvements as required in collaboration with School leadership
- Evaluates building long term maintenance needs and presents plans for deferred maintenance projects to School leadership
- Oversees and supervises all projects related to the Head’s Residence
- Oversees and manages new building construction projects
- Work with contractors and construction management firm on all construction matters
- Attend weekly construction meetings with contractors
- Manages, plans, and oversees a regular schedule of short- and long-term maintenance of campus buildings/facilities and equipment including, but not limited to HVAC, lighting, and elevators
- Maintains an adequate inventory of all necessary equipment, supplies, and parts on-site
- Manages tracking system for regular preventative maintenance schedules and ongoing requests
- Evaluates existing service agreements and makes recommendations to School leadership
- Proposes and implements strategies to address various environmental concerns including:
- energy use
- reduction of pollution and waste
- building and facility design and upkeep
- community education involvement in sustainability initiatives and practices
- Maintains current working knowledge of, and ensures compliance with, all applicable local, state, federal, and internal environmental laws and regulations
- Works with the Archer community to address the School’s approach to environmental responsibility with the goal to minimize the School’s environmental impact
- Serves on Archer’s Emergency Preparedness and Response programs in conjunction with the Head of School, Associate Head of School for Finance and Operations and other school administrators.
- Works with Emergency Response Coordinators to develop and manage Emergency Response Plans including facilitation of scheduled drills
- Maintains appropriate stock of emergency supplies and equipment
- Ensures appropriate response for all campus facilities related emergencies.
- Serves as a liaison to police, sheriff, and fire department personnel
- Manages Archer’s federal and state regulatory compliance requirements, including Cal/OSHA, LA County Water Boards, and building codes
Budgeting and Planning
- In collaboration with the Associate Head of School for Finance and Operations, prepares the annual facilities budget
- Manages the facilities budget on an ongoing basis, including accurate tracking and forecasting expenditures
- Provides support for the Building & Grounds Committee, and other committees and attends such meetings, as required
- Supervises facilities staff, conducts annual performance reviews, and ensures that staff follow Archer’s guidelines in accordance with the employee handbook and other school policies
- Evaluates staffing of department on an ongoing basis and collaborates with the Associate Head of School for Finance and Operations regarding any changes in staff structure
- Prepares, updates, and regularly communicates monthly schedules for grounds keeping, maintenance and janitorial staff
- Provides general supervision and project management to facilities related trades as needed
- Establishes and appropriately adjusts the timing of work and procedures to meet scheduled work requirements
- Addresses, analyzes, and resolves facilities issues
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency or advanced knowledge in building trades and ability to interpret architectural or engineering drawings preferred
- Ability to respond and effectively communicate firmly and calmly with campus constituents, colleagues, direct reports, and visitors
- Experience with Google suite and other technology tools
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience)
- 10+ years of facilities management experience in a similar environment including maintenance skills and emergency preparedness operations
The Archer School for Girls is an educational community that supports and challenges young women to discover their passions and realize their true potential. Beyond competitive pay and benefits, employees enjoy working in a collegial, growth-oriented, and joyful community. We seek employees who will contribute to an equitable and just learning environment. Integral to its mission, Archer has remained passionately committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive community where all students can thrive personally and academically. To learn more about the School, visit www.archer.org.
The position is available now, but we are open to delaying the start to the next school year.
To apply, please click on the link below:
No phone calls, please. The Archer School for Girls is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.archer.org.