Website St. James' Episcopal School
St. James’ Episcopal School currently has an available position for a dynamic Preschool Teacher. It is a full-time position. Additionally, there are generous professional development opportunities, and an hourly rate commensurate with experience. Preschool Teachers are part of a lively, energetic team and implement an engaging curriculum in innovative, exciting classroom settings. The Preschool Teacher reports to the Preschool Director.
This is a great opportunity for educators who want to teach in a community that focuses on the whole child and values best practices and the highest standards of teaching excellence. Successful candidates will have familiarity with innovative and child centered instruction, as well as practice and procedures in working with young children.
● Bachelor’s degree preferred
● Fluency in more than one language preferred
● Child development classes in conjunction with Associate Degree required (required 3-6 units in Infant Toddler Units)
● 3-5 years of previous teaching experience in a licensed early childhood program preferred
● Strong classroom management, communication and organizational skills
● Ability to communicate, listen, and work well with others in a team is paramount
● Proficiency with technology
● Excellent understanding of the principles of child development and preschool educational methods
● Familiarity with safety and sanitation guidelines for classrooms
● Ability to act as mediator between children
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Employ a variety of educational techniques (storytelling, educational play, media etc.) to teach children under the supervision of the Grade Lead Preschool Teacher
● Promote resources, organize and lead activities for children to explore, manipulate and use, both in learning activities and in imaginative play
● Actively engage with children to develop their artistic and practical capabilities through a carefully constructed curriculum (identify shapes, numbers or colors, do crafts etc.) provided by the Grade Lead Preschool Teacher
● Assist the Grade Lead Preschool Teacher in curriculum differentiation.
● Provide experiences which encourage questioning, probing and problem-solving skills that stimulate children to explore and express their creative abilities
● Model positive reinforcement and effective classroom management technique
● Observe each child to help them improve their social competencies and build self-esteem
● Encourage children to interact with each other and resolve occasional arguments
● Communicate with parents under the guidance of the Grade Lead Preschool Teacher.
● Assist (child care/where needed) in 2 required Parent Teacher Dialogues
● Attend to children’s basic needs by dressing them, and changing their diapers
● Maintain a clean, tidy, and orderly indoor and outdoor classroom consistent with health and safety standards
● Flexibility and a desire to work in partnership with a teaching team
● Ability to take over as the Lead Teacher when the Grade Lead Preschool Teacher is absent.
● Commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive community that empowers its students and families to celebrate their cultural identities, faiths, backgrounds and heritages
● Establish and maintain effective and appropriate communication with teachers, the director and appropriate staff members. Inform them, in a timely manner, of concerns and other pertinent issues
● The ability to assess and direct children which may require frequent lifting, bending, squatting and engaging with children from a seated position on the floor
● May be assigned to one learning space, or to several, and duties and assignments may change at any time, after consultation with your supervisor and/or the Head of School
● Flexibility and adaptability to changing classroom environments and assignments related to the developmental needs of the school environment
● Participate in Preschool Tours
● Support the classroom with the Classroom Assistant when the Grade Lead Preschool Teacher goes into planning time.
● Hours throughout the school year vary as early as 7:30 am and as late as 5:30 pm. Work schedules may change. When feasible, notice will be given as far in advance as possible
● Other duties as assigned by the Head of School or his designee
About St. James’ Episcopal School
St. James’ Episcopal School is a community that values academic rigor, compassion, curiosity, kindness, critical inquiry and joy through excellence. We adhere to a strong belief that an elementary school’s primary purpose is to inculcate in children a lifelong love of learning, a commitment to community, a profound curiosity about people and the world, and gratitude for the opportunity to make our complex world more compassionate, empathetic and nurturing to all of God’s children.
Established in 1968, and encompassing most of a block on St. Andrews Place, and a preschool on Gramercy Place, St. James’ is comprised of 365 students and over 73 employees, whom we refer to as “staffulty” due to the belief that everything at St. James’ is the curriculum and that all employees are teachers.
St. James’ offers a robust and competitive salary and benefits package including 90% tuition remission for accepted children of staff families.
St. James’ Episcopal School believes that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, ancestry, national origin, disability, marital status, age, sexual orientation, medical condition, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local discrimination laws.
Candidates interested in this position may email a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line “Preschool Teacher”.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org