Website St. James' Episcopal School
● Bachelor’s or Associates’ degree preferred
● Minimum 6 units of child development
● At least two years of previous teaching experience in a licensed early childhood program preferred
● Knowledge of the social, emotional, and creative needs of young children
● Excellent organizational and communication skills
● Full-time position
● Be available to work between the hours of 8:00 am to 5:30 pm
Duties and Responsibilities:
● May be assigned to one learning space, or to several, and duties and assignments may change at any time, after consultation with your supervisor and/or the Head of School
● Be responsible for providing classroom coverage during rest breaks, meal breaks and other planning needs for teachers across multiple classrooms
● Coordinate with the site supervisor to ensure the appropriate student-teacher ratios are always maintained in the classroom
● Ability to communicate, listen, and work well with others in a team is paramount
● Assist teacher(s), under the supervision of the Grade Level Lead Teacher, in implementing activities that support the overall care and quality of a developmentally appropriate education
● Engage in developmentally appropriate activities based on children’s interests and needs , under the supervision of the Grade Level Lead Teacher.
● Assist in providing experiences which encourage questioning, probing and problem-solving skills that stimulate children to explore and express their creative abilities
● Model positive reinforcement and effective classroom management techniques
● Model appropriate behaviors and communication to children
● Assist in the maintenance of a clean, safe, organized and age appropriate indoor and outdoor classroom learning environment
● Assist Grade Level Lead Teacher/ Preschool Teacher(s) in curriculum implementation when needed.
● Work with team members in maintaining and preparing learning materials as needed
● Actively engage with children, supporting their learning and social well-being
● Establish and maintain effective and appropriate communication with teachers, the director and appropriate staff members. Inform them, in a timely manner, of concerns and other pertinent issues
● Flexibility and adaptability to changing classroom environments and assignments related to the developmental needs of the school environment
● The ability to assess and direct children which may require frequent lifting, bending, squatting and engaging with children from a seated position on the floor
● Assisting with hygiene and changing diapers as needed
● Strong classroom management and communication skills
● Support the classroom when either the Grade Level Lead Teacher or Preschool Teacher goes into planning time.
● Hours throughout the school year vary as early as 8:00 am and as late as 5:30 pm. Work schedules may change. When feasible, notice will be given as far in advance as possible
● Other duties as assigned by the Head of School or his designee
About St. James’ Episcopal School
St. James’ Episcopal School is a community that values academic rigor, compassion, curiosity, kindness, critical inquiry and joy through excellence. We adhere to a strong belief that an elementary school’s primary purpose is to inculcate in children a lifelong love of learning, a commitment to community, a profound curiosity about people and the world, and gratitude for the opportunity to make our complex world more compassionate, empathetic and nurturing to all of God’s children.
Established in 1968, and encompassing most of a block on St. Andrews Place, and a preschool on Gramercy Place, St. James’ is comprised of 365 students and over 73 employees, whom we refer to as “staffulty” due to the belief that everything at St. James’ is the curriculum and that all employees are teachers.
St. James’ offers a robust and competitive salary and benefits package including 90% tuition remission for accepted children of staff families.
St. James’ Episcopal School believes that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, ancestry, national origin, disability, marital status, age, sexual orientation, medical condition, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local discrimination laws.
Candidates interested in this position may email a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line “Preschool Classroom Assistant”.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com