Website Sequoyah School Sequoyah School
Sequoyah School is an independent K-12 day school in Pasadena, California offering an innovative college-preparatory curriculum in a student-centered, experiential, humanistic environment. The school offers a developmentally appropriate program from Kindergarten through high school. In keeping with its mission, “A Sequoyah education challenges the mind, nurtures the heart, and celebrates human dignity,” the school’s program supports a student’s social and emotional growth alongside their academic progress. The school was founded in 1958 and recently expanded its highly regarded elementary and junior high program to include a high school. The high school campus is located just a few miles away from the K-8 campus.
Interim K-1 Lead Teacher (1 year)
Reports to: Assistant Head of School or Director of Teaching and Learning
Sequoyah’s learning program schoolwide, and in each classroom, is developed through close collaboration with others. In the K-8 program, this collaboration includes Lead Teachers, Associate Teachers, the Assistant Head of School, the Director of Teaching and Learning, and subject-area Specialists.
The Lead Teacher is primarily responsible for the academic, social, and emotional learning program in a mixed-age classroom. The Lead Teacher creates a class culture with routines and expectations defined by Sequoyah’s mission and Habits of Mind.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and implement math, language arts and social studies curriculum that includes high-quality projects that engage students in deeper learning and change-making, and reflect current DEI practices
- Provide a positive and safe environment for students physically and emotionally that reflects effective classroom management strategies
- Support students’ social-emotional and identity development through consistent and effective classroom practices, including morning meetings, Council, Advisory, individual check-ins and coaching students
- Look for opportunities to integrate specialists’ instruction with other classroom activities and for opportunities to create emergent curriculum, responsive to student interests & current events
- Understand and respond to individual students’ learning interests, strengths and needs
- Continuously document student progress keeping in mind subject-area grade level goals
- Help students to set goals and reflect on their understanding and skills through the use of portfolios
- Demonstrate a repertoire of effective and engaging instructional strategies that meet the needs of all students
- Incorporate appropriate technology
- Prepare for student-parent conferences that provide families with specific feedback regarding student understanding, skills and practice of the Habits of Mind, including feedback from other teacher
- Exercise excellent writing skills to produce detailed narratives regarding student progress and curriculum updates to parents
- Model professional and ethical standards and Habits of Mind when working with students, parents, teachers, administration and staff
- Seek knowledge of current instructional theories and best practices and demonstrate a commitment to professional growth by participating in professional development opportunities
- Participate in parent-teacher conferences, back-to-school nights, admissions events or other events at the request of the administration, sometimes outside of contractual hours
- Supervise students, including chaperone overnight camping trips
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Assume responsibility for other projects as assigned by the Head of School
Desired Expertise and Experience
- Master’s degree in Education or a related field
- Passion for learning and demonstrated interest in child development
- 3+ years of experience teaching full time
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Detail-oriented and resourceful
- Tactful and discreet
- Technologically savvy
Sequoyah School has a rich history of diversity and seeks candidates to enhance that tradition. Sequoyah offers competitive salary and benefits.
The anticipated salary range the School reasonably expects to pay candidates for this position is $66,250 to $103,673, depending on factors such as experience or education.
To apply, interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Sequoyah School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in any phase of employment. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, or any other legally protected status.
For more information about Sequoyah School please see our website at www.sequoyahschool.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com