Website Sequoyah School Sequoyah School
Full time position starting August, 2023
Sequoyah School, an independent school founded in Pasadena, California in 1958, opened an innovative high school program in September of 2016. As an extension of our K-8 program, students are guided through the deep intellectual exploration of content following a student-centered, project-based pedagogy that offers relevant contexts for exploration and opportunities for application. Furthermore, the high school program builds upon the changemaking work practiced in the K-8 program by offering a program for Social Innovation. Sequoyah faculty help facilitate student teams that explore issues in the community via a design thinking process that encourages teachers and students to get off campus and spend time interacting with community members and organizations. Finally, field studies is a hallmark of a Sequoyah education. Students and teachers travel around California, the Southwest, the Pacific Northwest, and Latin America to explore the natural world and engage with a variety of communities.
We are currently accepting applications for the 2023-2024 school year.
Humanities/History faculty position responsibilities include:
● Teach two sections of upper level United States History and/or World History courses per term (including sections
of American History, Sequoyah Advanced Studies American History, and World History electives)
● Ability to teach courses in the 9th and 10th grade integrated Humanities curriculum, as needed
● Teach a Z block mini-course elective for 3 mods and/or coaching the Debate Team
● Serve as an Advisor to a designated group of students; responsibilities include academic coaching, facilitating
lessons on diversity & inclusion, and interpersonal skill development and team building
● Facilitate a Social Innovation Program student team
● Sponsor a student club & Stewardship group
● Chaperone field studies and camping trips
We are seeking candidates who:
● Have experience teaching History and Humanities-related subjects
● Are able to demonstrate mastery in the field of history
● Are passionate about project-based, student-centered pedagogy
● Have experience with or have an interest in changemaking and service-learning
● Are interested in the collaborative work of faculty, including curriculum planning
To apply, interested candidates should send a résumé and cover letter to [email protected]
Sequoyah School has a rich history of diversity and seeks candidates to enhance that tradition. Sequoyah offers competitive salary and benefits. For more information about Sequoyah School and our hiring process, please see our website at www.sequoyahschool.org.
The anticipated salary range the School reasonably expects to pay candidates for this position is $66,250 to $103,673, depending on factors such as experience or education.