Website Marlborough School
Job Title: Staff Accountant (AR)
Department: Business Office
Reports to: Assistant Controller
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
Revised: July 2022
To Apply: If you would like to apply for this position, please access the link to our online application management system at http://www.marlborough.org/about/employment
Marlborough is an independent, college-preparatory day school for girls in grades 7-12 which enrolls students from over 100 different public and independent elementary schools in the greater Los Angeles area. Students of color represent nearly 40% of the student body. Located in Hancock Park, one of Los Angeles’ most beautiful residential areas, Marlborough’s central location makes for easy access to the many activities in metropolitan Los Angeles, ranging from world-class museum collections to lively ethnic dining. Conscious of the opportunities at its doorstep, Marlborough sees the city as an extension of its classrooms.
Responsible for coordinating the School’s tuition and supplemental billing and accounts receivable systems, cash receipts, donations, and other general accounting functions and duties as assigned.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Tuition and Supplemental Billing
· Coordinates and processes, with Blackbaud/SMART Tuition Management, all aspects of tuition and supplemental billing and collections.
· Reconciles the student billing system to the general ledger monthly.
· Responds in a timely manner to parent inquiries.
· Reviews and follows up on delinquent accounts monthly.
· Coordinates financial aid reimbursements to families for non-tuition expenses.
· Processes all cash receipts, including preparation of electronic deposits and cash receipts journals.
General Accounting and Other Projects
· Bank account reconciliations.
· Reconcile donations between donation platforms and school’s financial system.
· Prepares Student Store journal entry.
· Prepares various account reconciliations and standard journal entries monthly and/or quarterly including but not limited to investments, receivables, and CC receipts.
· Preparation of quarterly sales tax.
· Support for annual audit preparation.
· Assists Assistant Controller and Business Manager/Controller with other projects as needed.
· Filing and paperless scanning, as needed.
· Monitors cash balances and initiates transfers to keep account balances in line with school policy.
· Prepare and collect approvals for external wire transfers.
· Backup for payroll and A/P processing.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Bachelors’ Degree, preferably in Accounting or Finance
· Minimum of two years’ experience in bookkeeping and/or accounting and finance, preferably in Non-Profit/Independent School sector.
· Requires solid knowledge and understanding of accounting principles.
· Highly detail oriented, well-organized, flexible, and collaborative individual who enjoys working in a team-driven environment.
· Able to multitask in a fast paced, deadline driven environment, while always maintaining a customer service focus.
· Effective written and verbal communications skills
· Common sense and professional decorum are critical due to regular interaction with parents, faculty, administrators, and business partners.
· Experience in Blackbaud Financial Edge preferred.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially Excel and Word.
· Proficient in G-suite, including Gmail, Google Sheets, Google Docs.
To apply for this job please visit www.marlborough.org.