Website Marlborough School
Long-Term Substitute: Research & Psychology Teacher
2023−2024 School Year
To Apply: If you would like to apply for this position, please access the link to our online application management system at https://www.marlborough.org/about/careers
Marlborough School, an independent, college preparatory school in Los Angeles for 530 young women in grades 7-12, seeks a dynamic Upper School instructor to join the faculty for the 2023-2024 school year for a full-time position teaching Biological Psychology and mentoring students in a research internship program.
Marlborough’s Vision Statement: Equity leads Education Marlborough’s Mission Statement: Where Learning Sparks Purpose
We believe a diverse faculty is essential to the Vision and Mission of the School, for the following reasons:
● We instill confidence and cultivate leadership potential within each student, and serve as role models in inspiring them to pursue their personal best.
● We arm each graduate with the skills and motivation to create meaningful connections with people throughout the nation and across the world.
● We demonstrate the importance of community to our students, with teaching responsibilities that extend beyond the classroom and the curriculum.
● We commit to transforming our community so that equity is at the heart of a Marlborough education.
It is our responsibility to employ a diverse group of educators who exemplify excellence in teaching and leadership, and teach by example as well as by pedagogy.
The Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation (CEI) is where students create and collaborate, fail forward, and equip themselves with the tools and skills needed to become the leaders of the future. At the root of our mission is a commitment to inspire and empower students to imagine where their curiosity can take them. The Honors Research in Science program is a hallmark program of the CEI that encourages exploration, iteration, collaboration, and creativity in the sciences through project-based learning and real-world work with mentors and collaborators across Los Angeles, and beyond. The teacher is responsible for tracking student progress, meeting regularly with students to discuss learning, and working with other faculty to assess assignments.
The aim of our Biological Psychology curriculum addresses questions of how the human brain and nervous system produce a range of behaviors—sensation, perception, gender, sexuality, emotions, sleep and dreams, learning and memory—and explore these brain-behavior relationships. An emphasis on clinical psychology allows students to develop a deeper appreciation for the complexity of human behavior, be better equipped to navigate the social and psychological challenges they may encounter throughout their lives, and contribute to the betterment of society.
● This is a full time, on-campus position expected to run from October 1, 2023 through December 15, 2023. The incumbent is also required to attend orientation and opening meetings August 16-18 and again August 21-23, 2023.
● Directly support students in the Honors Research in Science program by meeting with each student individually once a week, hosting group meetings, tracking their overall research progress, providing guidance with the development of their research projects, and providing feedback on assignments.
● Prepare and deliver engaging Biological Psychology lessons on a variety of topics that could include emotion, cognition, sensation, perception, and clinical psychology.
● Utilize Marlborough’s learning management system to take attendance, provide curriculum materials and maintain a digital gradebook.
● Maintain a safe, dynamic learning environment to help students engage fully in the topic at hand.
● Collaborate and communicate regularly with members of the CEI Team, student services, deans, and other administrators.
● Other duties, as assigned, which may include participating in grade-level and other school activities.
● The ideal candidate for the position has at minimum a M.A. in Psychology (or related field) and extensive research experience. Doctoral degrees in Psychology (PsyD, PhD, or related field) are preferred.
● Has demonstrated interest in teaching, tutoring or working with young people.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills, especially when working with professionals in the science research field.
● Committed to the development of young women, including experience and enthusiasm for positive identity development and diversity, equity and inclusion work.
For information about Marlborough School, its rigorous academic curriculum, fine arts and athletics programs, we invite you to visit our website at http://www.marlboroughschool.org.
Marlborough School is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any basis made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, including, but not limited to, race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or sexual orientation.
To apply for this job please visit www.marlborough.org.