Website Harvard-Westlake School
Harvard-Westlake School is seeking a highly qualified educator to join the expanding team in our Upper School Deans’ Office. The office is growing to include eleven Deans (currently nine) who work closely with two office coordinators. If you employ a holistic approach to serving the needs of students and would add to the mutually supportive skills of an entire team of Deans, please consider this opportunity.
As a Dean, you will:
- Be responsible for the academic, college, and personal counseling needs of approximately 30 sophomores, 30 juniors, and 30 seniors (though junior and senior caseloads won’t be assigned until your second and third years, respectively);
- Guide students and their families, advising them on issues of course selection, study skills, community behavior, discipline, and ultimately, all elements of the college search and selection process;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with parents, faculty and staff, and college admission professionals;
- Write letters of recommendation;
- Speak publicly in both small and large venues;
- Teach once-per-week seminar courses to your student cohorts;
- Participate in the school community and culture;
- Continually look for ways to develop professionally.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s or higher preferred
- At least four years of college counseling and/or college admission experience
- Knowledge of colleges, their academic programs, admission policies, and financial aid policies
- High emotional intelligence
- Clear and effective public speaking skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a desire to work closely with a team of colleagues who meet daily
- Excellent and timely responsiveness to all constituencies (e.g., students, families, faculty, colleges)
- A transparent, candid, yet tactful communication style with families regarding college expectations
- Collaborative and inclusive decision-making style when working with other Deans, the counseling team, Dean of Students, faculty, staff, and administration
- Strong technology skills, including a familiarity with college search tools (e.g., Scoir, College Kickstart)
- Enthusiasm to become part of our vibrant school community, broadly engaging with students, families, and colleagues, and attending events outside their particular field of responsibility
Interested and qualified candidates must apply through our website (no email or mail-in submissions will be considered). Candidates must be prepared to submit the following when applying for the position:
- Cover letter expressing interest in the Harvard-Westlake Upper School Dean position
- Current résumé
- Sample letter of recommendation
Applications will be accepted through February 15, 2023.
We are an independent school consisting of two campuses located in Los Angeles, California. We have approximately 1,600 curious, thoughtful, and inspiring students enrolled in grades seven through twelve. The Upper School campus enrolls approximately 875 students in grades ten through twelve, more than half of whom are students of color.
We are committed to creating a community of belonging and actively strive to be a diverse and inclusive community. We do not discriminate on any basis. We seek candidates who demonstrate sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse backgrounds of community members; have an ability to work flexibly, independently, and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment with individuals from a diverse set of backgrounds; and have a capacity to serve as a model of openness, generosity, and acceptance.
Compensation: Anticipated base compensation is $100,000-$130,000 depending on experience.
Great benefits we offer:
- Top tier medical, dental, and vision coverage with zero to low premium contributions for you and eligible dependents
- 403(b) Retirement with a 10% match and immediate vesting
- Cafeteria allowance – lunch is on us!
- Professional development support including continuing education
- Personal Growth Grants
- Relocation Assistance
- Employee Affinity and Resource Groups
- Mental wellness resources and workshops
- Tickets to local sporting and entertainment events
To apply for this job please visit hwschool.hrmdirect.com.