Website Carlthorp School
Carlthorp School is seeking a warm, outgoing, and organized Associate Director of Admissions to join our Admissions team and school community. Carlthorp school is a co-educational elementary school located in Santa Monica, CA, that serves approximately 280 students in grades K-6. At its core, Carlthorp School provides a strong academic foundation in a diverse and nurturing school community that emphasizes respectful values, responsible work habits, and excellence in order to prepare our students to achieve their highest potential in education and life.
The Associate Director of Admissions will welcome prospective families and guide them through the admission process. This requires initiative, diplomacy, empathy, exceptional communication skills, and includes the ability to articulate the benefits of an independent school education and the unique features of the Carlthorp program with conviction and authenticity. This is a great position for someone who is passionate about working with families, is able to multitask, handles a fast-paced office, and can maintain confidentiality.
The Associate Director of Admissions will interview prospective families, field inquiries, organize and execute recruitment events, and support engagement efforts with feeder schools. The Associate Director of Admissions will participate fully in the assessment and selection of students, and in the broader life of the school.
Major duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Interviewing prospective applicant families, and completing interview write ups in a timely manner
- Reading and evaluating the materials submitted for all kindergarten and grade level applicants
- Working with the Director of Admissions and Head of School to identify mission-aligned families and students for enrollment in the School
- Fostering and bolstering relationships with outside student placement organizations (Independent School Alliance, Private School Village, etc.)
- Maintaining and strengthening relationships with feeder schools and admissions consultants, as well as initiating outreach to new schools and community partners
- Assisting with admissions events, including the planning and execution of admissions events such as parent coffees, information sessions, and assessment days.
- Facilitating and organizing parent volunteers for admissions events and initiatives
- Overseeing and training student volunteers for tours and admission events
- Serving as a thought partner with the Director of Admissions in devising recruitment strategies and efforts
- Being responsible for developing, implementing, analyzing, and maintaining a variety of databases and analytic tools to guide and support the School’s overall admission activities and goals
- Providing data requested by, or for the Head of School or Board of Trustees, as needed
- Providing creative input around admissions marketing materials including welcome bag gifts, website content, video presentations, etc.
Preferred qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree required (master’s degree preferred)
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in admissions and/or enrollment management, preferably in an independent school
- Adapt a success-oriented, optimistic approach to the admissions effort, while taking initiative to problem solve as needed
- Ability to work with people from a broad range of cultural and economic backgrounds
- Possess a detail-oriented approach to work and outstanding organizational skills
- Have excellent communication skills including writing, listening, and public speaking
- Be collaborative and flexible, and have a genuine enthusiasm for working with colleagues
- Experience in managing database software; admissions-oriented software is highly preferred, specifically Blackbaud
- Experience with video editing software highly preferred
- Discretion in dealing with sensitive and confidential admissions information
- Sense of humor, warm personality, and high energy are extremely desirable
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft and Google Suite of products
- Candidates who are bilingual or multilingual are strongly encouraged to apply
- Have a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
Start Date: July 1, 2023
Salary: $70,000 – $105,000, commensurate with experience
This job operates on a 12-month calendar. Evening and weekend hours may be required.
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and references to [email protected].
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org