Website WINDWARD SCHOOL
Windward School is a grade 7-12 college-preparatory, independent day school in vibrant West Los Angeles. Windward faculty and administrative leaders continually seek best practices and educational partnerships to help our students and faculty pursue their passions, engage in cutting-edge work, and lead meaningful lives.
Windward’s mission, as a college-preparatory school, is to challenge each student to achieve academic excellence in a nurturing environment. Windward teachers, parents, and administrators work as a team to encourage each student to be responsible, caring, well, informed, ethical and prepared, thus promoting the fullest development of the individual.
We are seeking a full-time Instrumental Music Lead to begin in August 2022 for the 2022-23 school year. The ideal candidate for this exciting position must possess the following:
● Long-reaching vision for the ongoing and future development of the existing outstanding jazz instrumental program into a robust, diverse and multi-genre instrumental music department.
● The willingness and desire to work in a team-based environment and to collaborate with other professionals in the Performing Arts Department.
● Strong, charismatic skills as an educator as well as a performer.
● A deep understanding of Jazz and popular music styles (e.g. Funk, Latin, Blues, Rock, etc.) as well as other musical genres, including Classical, Musical Theater, and potentially other contemporary styles.
● The ability to teach musical concepts from the most fundamental to highly complex, and to further develop a program where students at many different levels of understanding can grow and flourish in a compassionate and supportive environment.
● High levels of initiative and artistic motivation in professional and pedagogical endeavors.
● Teach/co-teach up to 5 music classes from the Beginning Level through an advanced Jazz Combo level including a multi-level Jazz Theory Class during the elective period (8th Period, etc.)
● Collaborate with and work as part of the Performing Arts Department Leadership Team, which includes the Faculty Leads for Vocal Music, Theater and Dance
● Lead, coordinate and collaborate with the team of Music Mentors (professional performers and teachers who provide private lessons to the Windward students in the Music program)
● Co-Produce several school concerts during the year (generally two Middle School and two Upper School concerts per year)
● Co-Produce our open mic “Coffee House” events, two per year
● Produce various ensemble performances for the Prospective Student and Parent Open Houses as well as other occasional school events
● Potentially continue directing a Spirit Band which performs at occasional athletic and extra-curricular events
● Collaborate with the other members of the Music Area, the Performing Arts Department and the faculty at large to develop interdisciplinary artistic projects
● Be fluent with either Sibelius or Finale music scoring platforms, so as to be able to create or adapt arrangements to meet the skill level and instrumentation of various ensembles
● Preferably be skilled at ProTools for a multitude of recording possibilities
● Attend all departmental and full faculty meetings
● Master’s Degree or higher
● At least five years of professional music performance experience
● At least five years of teaching experience
● Must be an experienced, dynamic and engaging performer, as a necessary and indispensable ingredient to inspire the students
● Excellent organizational and time management skills
● Current CV
● At least two 5-10 minute videos demonstrating classroom teaching and/or concerts with student performers
● At least one composition or arrangement written in a Jazz or popular music style along with their video or audio recording
● At least one video or audio recording demonstrating personal performance skills
○ Video or audio recordings can be shared via Google drive, YouTube or other similar online means; please include these links in your application.
● Letter of Intent
● Three letters of recommendation
Selected individuals will be asked to come to campus to assess classroom skills and for more in-depth interviews.
Please submit your submission materials via the Application link.
This is a great chance to be part of a dynamic, close-knit, independent school culture and community. Please see the Employment page on our website, which includes a salary calculator. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including:
● Medical, dental, vision insurance
● Paid Holidays, Vacation and Wellness days
● Retirement Plan, including up to 6% employer match
● School-paid Life and Disability Insurance
● Flexible Spending Account Plans
● Annual $2,000 FlexCheck
● Annual $2,000 Lunch Allowance
● Access to Peak Performance Center to promote physical and mental health
● Wellness Initiatives
● Employee Assistance Program
● Tuition Remission
● Funds for Professional Development
● And much more!
For more information about Windward, see our website: www.windwardschool.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com