Mirman School for Gifted Children
Mirman School seeks an experienced part time Assistant Lower School Mandarin Teacher who is compelled by the school’s mission and committed to the development of children. Teachers at Mirman School support differentiation with our students’ curiosities and passions with cross-curricular integration. Teachers are also engaged in regular collaboration, curriculum development, and pedagogical reflection. Ideal candidates should have an extensive knowledge of Mandarin
At Mirman School, we work collaboratively to support our unique population of highly gifted learners. We have a firm commitment to educating the whole child, and nurturing talents in all dimensions — academic, kinesthetic, and artistic. By fully integrating a commitment to inclusivity as well as a strong social emotional learning curriculum, we challenge our students and each other to be dynamic problem-solvers and thoughtful citizens of this increasingly complex society.
Mirman School actively seeks to enhance and support diversity and inclusion within its community, and is an equal opportunity employer. Mirman School encourages applications from persons of color, women, individuals living with disabilities, and protected veterans. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal and/or state law.
Essential Job Functions
● Collaborates with the lead teacher and other language teachers , and World Languages Dept Chair and follows best practices of second language acquisition to design and implement a sustainable Mandarin program
● Assistant Teachers are under the direct supervision of the Lead Teacher, Language department chair, and division head.
● Be responsible for specific components of the curriculum and work with the Lead Teacher on instructional planning, teaching, and student assessment. Engaged in the duty of imparting knowledge to pupils by direct teaching or collaborative instruction.
● Plans, prepares and delivers creative, dynamic classroom lessons, activities and materials for gifted students under the overall guidance of the Division Head and World Languages Department Chair.
● Provides a positive and creative educational climate for students to learn in.
● Uses effective teaching techniques and materials to implement established curriculum goals and objectives.
● Observes and evaluates student academic and social progress, timely submitting grades and report cards according to the established procedures of the school.
● Accurately completes any required reports requested by school.
● Demonstrate a strong understanding of the academic, social, and emotional development of highly gifted children
● Demonstrates excellent communications and collaborative skills to work with other teachers throughout all grade levels to strengthen community and student experience.
● Abides by and uphold the policies, procedures and ethical standards of the school.
● Demonstrates social skills necessary to manage positive and productive interactions with students, parents, school administration and staff.
● Participates in and supports school community activities, programs, and initiatives.
● Participates in meetings and professional development activities.
● Maintains a safe and clean environment that assures the well-being of students.
● Ability to meet the normal hours of work and attendance necessary to provide instruction to students.
● Hours 9:30-2:30
● Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree preferred
● 2-3 years teaching experience
● Fluency in English and Mandarin, specifically simplified Chinese and pinyin
● Able to pass state and federal background checks and have clear TB results upon hire.
● CA teaching credential (preferred)
● Advanced proficiency in Mandarin
● Knowledge of strategies and current best language teaching practices and second language acquisition theory.
● Understanding of independent school methods and ability to effectively integrate best practices of NAIS and CAIS.
● Demonstrated ability to teach simplified characters
● Demonstrated oral and written communication skills in English and Mandarin
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively with students, parents, colleagues and community members
Mirman School offers a robust benefits package to full time employees which includes medical, dental, and vision coverages. Eligible employees may also participate in the 403(b) retirement plan. Mirman also offers opportunities for the professional development of our faculty and administrators. If interested in applying, please visit our website at mirman.org and provide a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com