Website La Jolla Country Day School
Inspiring Greatness for a Better World
The La Jolla Country Day School college counseling team educates, guides, and supports students and their families through the college search and application process. Our ultimate goal is for students to attend a college or university where they will be successful and well-equipped to continue that success in life. We offer a student-centered, individualized program allowing students to identify schools that align with their developing values. Our counselors are recognized experts in the college counseling profession and are regularly asked to present at international, national and regional professional conferences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Counsels and guides students and parents towards common goals on college selection and admission by:
- Establishing strong and regular communications with families and students
- Being available to meet with families 9-12th grade, schedule permitting
- Working with families and students to develop a list of colleges and universities for application
- Evaluating the student’s academic and social growth and making recommendations to highlight the student’s candidacy in the college application process
- Managing students’ and families’ expectations throughout the college process
- Providing course selection advice to students
- Providing advice and suggestions to students and families regarding extra-curricular on and off-campus activities
- An in-depth knowledge of colleges and universities as well as contextual grasp of the current college admission landscape
- Ensures deadlines are met in regard to letters of recommendation and other submission materials
- Hosts college visits to campus and establishes strong relationships with college representatives and admissions officers
- Represents the school at various events (on campus and off campus), speaking to current and prospective students and families about the services the college counseling team provides
- Participates and organizes college preparation events such as grade level retreats, college trips, college nights, college fairs, parent presentations, etc.
- Attend conferences hosted by professional organizations for college counseling and visit colleges and universities throughout the country
The candidate must hold at least a Bachelor’s degree. In addition, they must have:
- Experience supporting students through the college selection, application, admission, and financial aid process as a college counselor or college admissions officer
- Willingness to work as part of a team with an emphasis on collaboration
Excellent communication skills, supportive attitude, and passion for guiding and advising college bound students
- Experience with college counseling or enrollment management software
- Commitment to La Jolla Country Day’s mission and promise, and to model our community’s core values
The college counselor will have a strong commitment to independent school life. The counselor can expect a fast paced, dynamic work environment, and involvement in all aspects of school life including chaperoning duties, serving as a student advisor, and taking on various other responsibilities.
The ideal candidate is committed to anti-racist education and culturally responsive instructional practices. They will possess or demonstrate the following: a growth mindset, emotional intelligence, self-motivation, positive energy, strong interpersonal skills, a service-oriented and team approach to work, approachability, adaptability, vulnerability, openness to new and divergent ideas, excellent oral and written communication skills, and comfort in an educational setting where children and adults are present.
All school personnel must successfully complete a fingerprint background check through Live Scan and provide current tuberculosis clearance.
Please submit the following: (1) your current CV/resume, (2) a cover letter outlining your interest in this role at La Jolla Country Day School, and (3) a writing sample.
Ideally, this position will start in Spring 2022. We will begin our review of application materials at the end of November 2021.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.